The LA Clippers will take on their Staples Center rival, the Los Angeles Lakers, to open the 2017-2018 NBA season on October 19th.
With the release of the opening week and Christmas Day NBA schedules, LA Clippers fans finally know who the team will face in their season opener. The new-look LA Clippers will be taking on the Lonzo Ball-lead-Lakers to start their 2017-2018 NBA campaign as the home team in the Staples Center matchup. The game will take place on Thursday, October 19th at 10:30 and will be televised on TNT as part of KIA’s Tip-Off 2017 schedule.
Another KIA Tip-Off 2017 matchup that may be of interest to Clipper fans would be the October 17th night game when ex-Clipper Chris Paul and the Houston Rockets face the Golden State Warriors on Golden State’s ring night.
The release of the Christmas Day schedule will disappoint fans, as the team did not get chosen to have a game scheduled on Christmas. This is the first year the Clips have not gotten a Christmas Day game since 2011 when they defeated the Warriors. The team had played on Christmas in six straight seasons, facing the Warriors three times, Lakers twice, and the Nuggets once. In those six games listed below, LA went 4-2.
- 2016 Christmas Day: Los Angeles Lakers defeated the LA Clippers 111-104
- 2015 Christmas Day: LA Clippers defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 94-82
- 2014 Christmas Day: LA Clippers defeated the Golden State Warriors 100-86
- 2013 Christmas Day: Golden State Warriors defeated the LA Clippers 105-103
- 2012 Christmas Day: LA Clippers defeated the Denver Nuggets 112-100
- 2011 Christmas Day: LA Clippers defeated the Golden State Warriors 105-86
Overall, the Clippers are 6-8 in Christmas Day games and have the 14th most amount of Christmas Day wins.
It’s a shame that the Clippers are without a Christmas Day game this year, as a Rockets-Clippers matchup could have been an exciting Christmas game.